Developing the economy worldwide
An expert for development cooperation working at a German Chamber of Commerce Abroad (AHK)? What at first sounds like an unlikely approach has already proven to be very efficient for many years.
In around 30 countries, ExperTS advise local, German and European companies on development policy issues in the following four priority areas:
- Sustainable economic development: ExperTS help to advance the sustainable development of the local economy by promoting export industry and innovation
- Energy and environment: ExperTS support climate change mitigation and protection of the environment through technology and knowledge transfer
- Vocational education and training: ExperTS develop solutions for vocational education and training of skilled personnel in cooperation with the private sector
- Digitalisation and start-ups: ExperTS connect start-ups and their digital innovations with partners from the private and public sector.
The objective of the ExperTS Programme is to promote sustainable business practices around the world and to create better conditions under which companies can become involved in development policy activities in partner countries. As local contacts, ExperTS support small and medium-sized enterprises in particular in tapping into new markets and setting up innovative cooperation arrangements, as well as in ensuring that their involvement brings benefits for all sides. In this way, the programme, which is funded by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ), works at the intersection between development cooperation and foreign trade promotion, thus creating the basis for local sustainable development.
As ‘Integrated Experts’, the specialists of the ExperTS Programme are placed by the Centre for International Migration and Development (CIM). They are employed by the local AHKs, and receive a salary subsidy from the ExperTS Programme. The programme is implemented by the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH in cooperation with the German Chambers of Commerce Abroad (AHKs) and the Delegations of German Industry and Commerce.
Since 2011, ExperTS have been helping achieve the following results:
- Around 25,700 individuals have benefited from technical, vocational and advanced training, giving them better access to the labour market.
- More than 13,000 individuals have found jobs.
- More than 9,000 individuals have improved their working conditions and 10.0000 people have increased their income.
- Training energy managers has cut greenhouse gas emissions by over 2.5 million tonnes.